Vacuuming should be a central part of your routine for maintaining a clean, healthy home. Plus, vacuuming your carpet regularly improves the air quality in your home, prevents soil from settling deep into your carpet, and helps your carpet stay cushy without getting matted down.
Today we’ll be sharing some tips for how to use the settings and attachments on your vacuum and techniques for the most effective way to vacuum.
Be Familiar with the Attachments
The first step is to know the attachments that come with your vacuum and what they should be used for.
Crevice Tool – This is the thin, long attachment. Perfect for narrow areas and tough-to-reach corners.
Dusting Brush – This attachment is ideal for surfaces that need a softer touch.
Upholstery Nozzle – Perfect for vacuuming drapes, mattresses, and a variety of upholstered furniture.
Radiator Brush – Great for vacuuming radiators and vents.
All-Purpose Brush – Effective for vacuuming shelves and other flat surfaces.
Use Your Vacuum on the Appropriate Settings
Most vacuums have the option to adjust pile height. This will need to be adjusted depending on what surface you’re vacuuming. The adjustment knob is typically found near the front of the base of the vacuum.
The key is to make sure your vacuum makes contact with the carpet while still allowing adequate airflow. Here are some recommendations for how to set your pile height for different surfaces:
- For wool or wool blend, high pile, or soft carpeting, use your vacuum on a higher pile setting. This setting will skim the top of the carpet, allowing enough airflow for effective suction.
- For flat, commercial carpeting, use a lower pile setting. This helps the vacuum make good contact with the flooring while still allowing enough airflow for suction.
- If you’re vacuuming hardwood or other uncarpeted floors, put your vacuum on the bare floors setting. This setting uses suction only so your floors don’t get scratched by the powered brush. If your vacuum doesn’t have this setting, use it only on carpet and not on bare floors.
How to Vacuum Properly
- Don’t just do a once over. Perform slow, back and forth motions in an overlapping pattern. Don’t press down or make too many passes over the same area, but move slightly to the left or right about every four strokes.
- Give special attention to hard to reach areas like corners and edges.
- Follow a Top-Down cleaning method. This means dust blinds, furniture, and other surfaces first, then vacuum to avoid depositing dust on your carpets after you’ve cleaned them.
How Often Should I Vacuum?
You should vacuum at least once a week with a CRI Seal of Approval/Green Label vacuum cleaner.
Once a day in high traffic areas where you spend most of your time.
Twice a week in medium traffic areas.
Weekly in light traffic areas, using attachments to vacuum corners and edges.
Caring for Your Vacuum
In order to get the best cleaning results, keep your vacuum well maintained. Here are a few tips:
- Keep the instructions for your specific vacuum and refer to them when needed.
- Make sure the vacuum hose and adjustments aren’t clogged.
- Avoid damaging your vacuuming by gripping the handle, not the hose, when cleaning.
- Clean hair, dust, and other particles from your vacuum brushes. Replace brushes when they become worn.
- Check your vacuum bag and empty or replace it when it’s about half to two-thirds full.
- Inspect your vacuum for bent metal or rough edges that can snag your carpet.
Complete Chem-Dry of Lake Orion is your trusted partner for maintaining a clean and healthy home! Learn more about our revolutionary cleaning services and how we can help eliminate allergens and bacteria from your carpet and upholstery!
See What Others Are Saying
I’ve been having my carpet cleaned for years by Dino’s team & they are “Always” friendly & Professional! Sam & Wes took charge & got the job done in no time at all! My carpet looks Brand New! A Big Thank you & thumbs up To Dino & his chem dry team for Keeping yet another longtime customer Happy! 🙂
These guys are THE BEST!!!! Conscientious, respectful of your home, and excellent work. Also, I am chemically sensitive, and their cleaning solution was completely odorless and caused me no reaction at all. What a find!! Another great benefit unique to them is that they use so little water, so that the carpets dry quickly and there is absolutely no concern about water sitting in the carpet or pad too long, which can lead to mold growth. I really appreciated that too! I won’t hire anyone but these guys in the future.
Always do a fantastic job. Would highly recommend them. Have been using this service for years and have had great job done every time. Carpet looks wonderful.